Cigarette smoke odors can be extremely difficult to endure for nonsmokers, especially if folks of delicate nasal passages, asthmatic tendencies or other respiratory issues. Getting the smell out could seem like a hopeless endeavor, but fear not, it is possible with a little diligence and a lot of elbow grease. Whether it is a newly acquired home, an investment you use as a rental unit or a recently moved in apartment, the cigarette odors should be absolved. With that in mind, we at AAA Cleanco would like to share some tips on getting cigarette odors out of your home.
Air Out House to Get Rid of Bad Smells
1. To start the ceremony, air out the home to the best of your ability by open up all the windows and doors. Flip on the ventilation fans in all the rooms where they are available and allow them to remain open a good portion of the day.
2. If you have an air purifier handy, they can contribute to expediting the process, but are generally not enough to reduce the concentrated cigarette odors that have heavily built up.
3. Next add a small bowl 8oz size – 24oz should suffice, but a cup should all you need, to every room in the home. If the living space is exceptionally large, to bowls on each side of the room could be more optimal. Allow the bowl of vinegar to set for at least 2 hours, but letting them neutralize the air all day is best.
What Surfaces Need to Be Cleaned to Remove Odors?
Below is a helpful guide on what needs to be cleaned. Often some of the home’s structure gets overlooked, and to thoroughly remove pungent cigarette odors, you need to make sure everything is sanitized and deodorized.
– Clean Walls & Ceilings. The residue from cigarette smoking will build up on the surfaces, including walls and ceilings. If you prefer commercial products, be sure it contains ammonia and glycol. Do note the smells from these cleaners are strong, be sure the windows are open and the room is well ventilated. For people sensitive to cleaners, wear a face mask. A homemade formula is equal parts vinegar and water, or 1 part lemon juice and 4 parts water is equally effective for those who dislike cleaning with vinegar or vinegar is not available.
**NOTE: Always perform a patch test on any cleaning solution, premade formulas, or home remedies to ensure the paint or similar wall and ceiling coatings will not be compromised.
– Floor Cleaning. No matter if they are wood floor variations, tile and grout, or carpets, they need to be cleaned as well. On tile and wood floors, the vinegar solution can be efficient, but always follow up the wood floors with appropriate treatments. Carpets may need a professional hand, as their fabric is porous and odors cling.
– Cleaning Curtains & Blinds. As the fabric material dictates, curtains and blinds need to be washed or dried cleaned appropriately. Do not over look the blinds, if they do not require special care; wipe them down with the vinegar formula.
– Mirror & Window Washing. Glass is another surface that needs attention. Cigarette smoke residue can build up on glass and windows, and can be wiped clean with the use of vinegar, or ammonia based glass cleaners.
Residential Home Cleaning, Housekeepers, Maid Services, Janitorial & More in Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, Bermuda Dunes, Indio, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, La Quinta, Banning, Coachella Valley & Riverside County California
If the cigarette odor persists, consider a fresh coat of paint. Replacing the light bulbs might be needed as well. When the cigarette odor films on a bulb, and the bulb is heated through use, it can emanate odors. Just in case there is furniture, airing them out and exposing them to UV rays can neutralize smoke odors, if possible allow the furniture to sit outside on a sunny day for 1-2 days. If sunlight is not an option, use a spray bottle with either the vinegar solution or lemon juice mixture and generously spray the furniture, do not soak it, and wipe it down. As with anything else, be sure to to the patch test in an inconspicuous spot first. Finally, sprinkle baking soda on fabric furniture and carpet, allow it to set up to 3 days and vacuum the remnants thoroughly. Our professionals at AAA Cleanco can help get homes cleaned, sanitized and deodorized efficiently. Call us today to schedule your appointment!