Enough to make a room look unkempt are dirty baseboards. Due to their location, it makes them so easy to neglect, and when you have limitations with your back, the thought of bending over to scrub sound even less appealing. Fortunately, even if you have bad knees or a sore back, there are ways you can clean baseboards easily. Today, we at AAA Cleanco would like to offer some tips on how you can ensure your baseboards get cleaned without bending over.
How Do You Clean Dirty Grimy Baseboards?
1) Begin by preparing and collecting the equipment. Extending your reach is the best way to clean your baseboards without strain and making your comfort a priority. Below are a few ideal supplies you can choose for this task.
– Attach a cloth to a broom. With a couple of rubber bands, hold a microfiber cloth around the brush.
– Microfiber mop (dry). A dry microfiber mop used to reach ceiling fans is a perfect tool. You can make a makeshift mop by rubber banding a microfiber sock to a yard stick.
– Wand attachment and vacuum cleaner. This tool is exceptionally efficient at removing dust. With an extension wand, you can dust your baseboards thoroughly without bending over.
2) Before washing the baseboards, remove dust. You will risk scratching the surface of the baseboards if you do not ensure performing the mandatory dusting. The way to remove all the debris is using a vacuum cleaner with an extension wand with the brush add-on, which is always recommended by the pros. Once the dust is completely removed, you can move to a deep cleaning if needed. Make sure to keep the baseboards dust-free with weekly vacuuming wash them every 6 months, or as often as needed.
3) Cleaning solution. Below are two ideal solutions that can be prepared quickly.
– Soapy Water. Quantities are not an exact science. In a gallon of warm water, add 1 tsp or so of mild liquid dish soap and agitate until it suds up. Rinse afterwards with pure water to avoid sticky residues.
– White Vinegar. White vinegar is often a household staple. This needs no rinses and though the smell may be strong initially, the smell dissipates. In a spray bottle, combine equal parts of white vinegar with warm water. Not all baseboard materials are the same, be sure to perform a patch test on an inconspicuous area to ensure it is safe.
4) From bottom to top, clean the baseboards. Using the proper technique can help you avoid a mess, when cleaning the baseboards. Directly on the baseboards, dip the wiping tool in the soapy water or spray the vinegar solution. After the solution is applied, start from the bottom and work your way up. You’ll pick up any water dripping down and prevent streaks this way.
5) Use dryer sheets. To prevent your baseboards from becoming magnets for hairs and dust, you can use the same dryer sheets you use for laundry have a special coating. You can enhance the surface with these sheets to give the trim a subtle luster. To spare your back, get in a comfortable position on a comfortable seat and wipe the whole trim